La Grange, IL
The Village of LaGrange incorporated in 1879, consisted of log cabins, farms and a few commercial enterprises in its early settlement days. Today, the Village is characterized as a residential community with over 600 supporting commercial and industrial establishments.
The development of LaGrange was hard fought. In its early growth, the President of the Chicago Burlington and Quincy Railroad did not think it would pay to extend a line from Aurora to Chicago. Growth of trade and pleas by settlers finally brought the railroad to the area in the early 1860’s.
The first railroad station was called Hazel Glen. Located a few blocks west of Brainard Avenue, it did not attract much more than milk trains. The Burlington began a regular commuter service in the 1870’s, and by 1876 ten trains were running daily between Chicago and Aurora.
F.D. Cossitt, the founder of the community and a former cotton planter from LaGrange, Tennessee, put hard work, planning and imagination into developing the community – setting aside land for schools and churches. LaGrange, Illinois, is named after Cossitt’ s hometown in Tennessee.
Today, the Village’s historic district is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and contains many restored Victorian, Colonial and Prairie School style homes.
Home of the annual Pet Parade since 1947, LaGrange attracts thousands of visitors on an annual basis.
This well established residential community affords residents fine schools, parks, many fine restaurants and a full service downtown shopping area.